Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Hegemony

In Speak, Mr. Neck calls the kids to a debate, but when some of the kids try to argue his side of the argument, he decides that the debate is over then ends the debate. Some, but not all, of the teachers at school show this form of hegemony. Sometimes in music class my teacher gets out a recording of our band to listen to. While we listen, we are to write down the scores we think the piece would receive in certain categories (musicality, tone, style, etc) on a scale of 1-4. After the piece was finished, he had us raise our hands to show what we had chosen for the scores. I was the only person who wrote a score of 3 for one of the categories and was asked to explain my reasoning. At the beginning of class, my teacher said that there were no "wrong" opinions and that discussion was open, but after I tried to explain why I chose the score I chose, he explained why my opinion was "technically" incorrect. Although he did so in a respectful and kind way, it still aggravated me that at first he said there would be no "wrong" opinions, but when I spoke my opinion, that rule seemed to bend.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Miranda, my name is Jarrod and I am a student at the University of South Alabama majoring in Secondary Education for social sciences and history. I am glad to have the chance to check out your blog as part of an assignment for my EDM310 class. I can relate to your frustrations, and as a future teacher, reading students blogs has really helped me understand some things I need to work on. Hegemony is a big word and sometimes has a global impact on cultures throughout, but it also affects each of us in individual ways. I remember when I was in junior college and my art instructor always would draw on my art projects with a red marker. Sometimes it would have taken me weeks to complete, and to see it go to waste by the point of a red marker made me turn red. One day, finally, as his marker was about to scribble I stopped him, but not rudely. I told him that those pieces of art I had created was my own self expression and he had no right to tell me it was wrong, and he respected that. Sometimes we are persecuted even in small ways, that can take the wind right out of our sails. Although, keeping a positive attitude will always prevail over the situation. By the way I got an "A" in that art class. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete